Enjoy a cup of tea!

Enjoy a cup of tea!

I Made The Front Page!





Saturday, December 24, 2011

Happy Holidays!









I would love to wish anyone who reaches this page a VERY HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON! I would like to use this opportunity to honor what I believe to be one of the best stories ever written. Obviously, I am not alone in this belief, since this story has been reproduced over and over again in movies, MANY different TV series episodes, cartoons, plays, musicals, etc. In fact, I think all these remakes may be an injustice to the original story, because it has caused much of it to become so cliche, that the brilliance and relevance of this story has sadly dimmed. The story is "A Christmas Carol," by Charles Dickens. My personal favorite rendition is the Alastair Sim version done in 1951. He is by FAR my favorite Scrooge. Since I love this story so much, I try to watch any version I can, from the goofy to the honest attempts, and I still find myself going back to the 1951 version every time.




I think we all know the story: Mean, horrible, and miserly Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by 3 ghosts (Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas Yet To Come) and each one shows him key times in his life (and the lives of those closest to him) that help him see the error of his ways, and, consequently, he turns himself around and not only spreads love and cheer on Christmas, but for all the days of his life.




As corny as a lot of it has become, I feel it is just what we need today. With all the anger and bitterness and division in the world right now, wouldn't it just be so easy to say, "God Bless us, every one," and then take it onward from there?




Well, each year, as I watch this movie, I am filled again with hope, and all I can say is that I can certainly try in my own way to appreciate my life and help anyone I can in any way I can. If that is corny, I'll take corny. I think this world needs a bit more "corny."




Happy Holidays Everyone!














No comments:

Post a Comment